Saturday July 15, 1967

The 10th place Kansas City Athletics and the 2nd place Minnesota Twins had split the first two games of a three game series with a couple of 3-2 games at Metropolitan Stadium. Cal Ermer’s Twins came back from a 2-0 deficit in the first game on Thursday by scoring a run an inning in the 6th, 7th, and 8th; the first and last of which were solo home runs by Harmon Killebrew, who brought his season’s total to 24, enough to tie Frank Howard for the AL lead.

On Friday Twins’ pitcher Jim Kaat allowed a couple of runs on four singles in the fourth inning while three Athletics pitchers held the Twins’ offense down to earn a 3-2 win.

It might have seemed improbable that the third game of the series would end with the exact same score, but that is what went down at the Met. Starter Dean Chance ran into some trouble in the top of the first. With one out, shortstop Zoilo Versalles booted a grounder by Mike Hershberger. Hershberger stole second before Chance issued a walk to the number three hitter John Donaldson. Hershberger and Donaldson advanced on a double steal putting both in scoring position for Ramon Webster’s two-RBI single that put the A’s ahead 2-0. The A’s were aggressive on the base paths, stealing four bases in the top of the first inning and seven total off of the battery of Chance and Earl Battey.

Harmon Killebrew struck with his third solo home run of the series in the bottom of the frame to cut the Kansas City lead in half.

Both Chance and Kansas City pitcher Lew Krausse settled in after the first inning. Kansas City only managed to scatter four more singles off of Chance, who at one point retired 10 consecutive batters. Krausse put his own string together, and would have retired 15 Twins in a row had it not been for an error in the bottom of the sixth. Krausse ran into a bit of trouble in the eighth when Bob Allison, pinch hitting for Chance, doubled to right with one out. After the second out was recorded and Allison moved to third, manager Al Dark went to left-handed Tony Pierce, who did his job by retiring Rod Carew with a harmless ground out to first base.

After Ron Kline pitched around a lead off single in the visitor’s half of the ninth, The Twins would send Harmon Killebrew and Tony Oliva to face A’s reliever Jack Aker. On consecutive pitches from Aker, Killebrew and Oliva blasted solo home runs to send the home fans away from the Met happy with a 3-2 Twins win.


2 Responses to Saturday July 15, 1967

  1. Scot: taking into account that there were probably other dynamics at play( i.e., was Aker was on a hot streak? Oliva wasn’t? ), I have to wonder what emboldened him to pitch to Tony with the game on the line. Guess it would help if I actually checked your link to see their recent stats! If can well imagine the A’s players being sore with him for that managerial move. Would have loved being in the cheap seats to watch those homers fly out!

  2. Scot says:

    I couldn’t find any game reports beyond the Sporting News, which was a couple of sentences, so I didn’t have a lot of context. My gut reaction to that question is that the strategy of pitching around a hitter with the bases empty wasn’t quite as common in 1967 as it is now. Aker was having a poor season, so it is also entirely possible that he was trying to prove something, or even that he was trying to pitch around Oliva but missed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: